Helios™ - Programmable Edge Controller
The Helios products are discontinued (End of Life). Under the terms of our last time buy program, Eurotech will accept last time buy orders up to February 22, 2013. Please consider the ReliaGATE 50-21 as a possible option to replace the Helios.
- Flexible programmable system at the edge of the network
- Rugged and configurable
- Any wireless network, thousands of device interfaces
- Wide choice of software
Helios is a programmable edge controller that provides a flexible application-ready hardware platform with enhanced wireless capabilities. It combines the fast and rugged Intel Atom™ processor with flexible packaging, software options and wireless, making Helios easy to configure for any application.
The Helios platform offers Four Degrees of Flexibility
- Programmability Helios offers you a full PC to program as you wish!
- Hardware Select the CPU speed, environmental specs and hardware options you want
- Software Microsoft or Wind River Linux 3.0 with the option for ESF (Everyware™ Software Framework) middleware
- Connectivity Industry's most flexible plug-in system for wireless connectivity
Helios is a full PC under the hood. A powerful Intel® Atom™ processor can support all the software you want to use for device maintenance, data storage, event processing, HMI whatever is needed for your system. Open source and commercial software are both supported by Eurotech. And, with Eurotech providing the microcode, BIOS and software port, you have the comfort of single source platform responsibility upon which to build your application.
Further, as part of an OEM Agreement, Eurotech can load your software into the device at our factory. Coupled with a private label option, this can dramatically reduce your program/project costs.
Hardware flexibility lets you choose the initial device options based on the specs you need to meet, including processor speed, memory capacity, temperature range and video display. Helios can boot off USB or network, SDD (Solid State Disk) or conventional high capacity IDE drives. You can drive conventional VGA displays, or drive LCDs using the popular LVDS interface.
Helios gives you the options of Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard, CE 6.0 or Wind River Linux 3.0.
- Wind River Linux 3.0 is enterprise-grade Linux with a distribution managed and optimized by Wind River, the leader in embedded operating system.
- Windows Embedded Standard with .NET 3.5 is an enterprise-ready client solution supported by thousands of XP software packages and drivers.
- Windows CE 6.0 is a compact, real-time OS suited for industrial controls, thin clients and diskless systems.
- ESF the Everyware Software Framework from Eurotech. ESF is a comprehensive toolkit and middleware stack that applies IBM J2ME Java to the enterprise environment, with full Websphere™ connectivity.
- As part of an OEM Agreement, other operating systems and servers can be integrated and shipped on Helios. These include: Websphere Sensor Event Server, Windows Embedded Server, Windows Foundation Server, Windows for Point of Sale, SQL, or Windows Media Server.
Helios offers USB and serial connections of course. A Gigabit Ethernet port and serials ports can be changed from EIA-232 to EIA-485 under software control. For mobile systems, Helios offers an optional GPS with external antenna connection. As part of an OEM agreement, the general purpose USB 2.0 ports can be configured as either host or client- something that can be important for 'edge devices'.
|Helios' unique feature is an end bay to hold up to three USB adapters. These USB adapters are locked in and held down firmly, and there is a portal for cables or antennas if needed. Typically, these modules are carrier-approved standard modules to allow connection to any 2G or 3G network. The use of pre-approved adapters eliminates certification and RF testing from your project timeline.|
Because of the careful packaging, the device, including the USB plugins, is rated for MIL810F Shock and Vibration allowing installation in vehicles. Finally, the device is closed with security screws for tamper and theft protection.
Pretested and approved modules include:
- Sprint 598U Compass
- Verizon USB760
- AT&T USB Connect Mercury
- Blutonium Class 1 Bluetooth
- MPSTech 802.15.4 / Zigbee
The wide availability of USB modules means the system integrator/solutions provider can build a custom solution and connect via cellular networks just about anywhere, without the delay or cost of approvals.
To see how Helios can speed your project, please Contact Us
Intel® Atom™ Z5xx processor at 1.1 GHz (up to 1.6 GHz options)
Intel® System Controller Hub US15W (Intel® SCH US15W)
Multimedia card support for display and audio options
512 MB DDR-2 DRAM (up to 2 GB options)
2 GB CompactFlash® card (SD card option)
On-board PATA flash (option)
Internal SATA drive (option)
Wind River Linux 3.0
Windows® Embedded Standard
Windows® CE 6.0
12V DC (up to 36 V vehicle power input option)
TBDW (base system)
Power management support capable of operation at < 3W
Communications and I/O
USB Bay with three USB 2.0 host ports (H/F/L speeds) for wireless devices and storage
Three external antenna connections to the USB Bay
Two general-purpose USB 2.0 host ports (H/F/L speeds)
Gigabit Ethernet port
EIA-232 or EIA-485 serial port (software-selectable)
GPS with external antenna connection (option)
Eight software-controlled LED status indicators
Battery-backed real-time clock
ABS plastic and aluminum enclosure (25.9 x 12.1 x 4.5 cm)
Adaptable I/O side plates
Removable USB Bay cover
Extended temperature -40°C to +85°C (0°C to 70°C for 1.6 GHz option)